Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Hearts Of Summer Held In Trust, Still Tender Young And Green (Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia - "Days Between")



           It is crunch time in our house. With Pesach out of the way, my wife’s attention has turned towards our youngest daughter’s bat mitzvah. It seems as if there is a never ending list of things for my wife to do. Dresses, shoes, caterer, Shabbat meals, theme, centerpieces, colors, hotel rooms for some out of town guests, Shabbat hospitality for other out of town guests, her speech, and seating arrangements need to be accounted for. One of the big questions that I am sure most people are wondering about is if my wife worries and deals with all these variables then what do I do? My job seems much simpler. I study with our daughter. We study about the topic of her choice. We learn together and I help her write her speech and present it. Of course, if my wife doesn’t see me learning with our daughter, or she doesn’t see our daughter writing her speech or practicing her speech, well then it’s just another thing for her to worry about and focus upon. With so much to do, so much to worry about both very important and, let’s be honest, somewhat less important and even the stuff that is downright narishkeit and irrelevant (my opinion only and I am no party planner); my poor wife wakes up in the morning already feeling overwhelmed stating her hope beyond hope that she can “start crossing things of the To Do List!” Honestly, I try to help. I say things like, “Don’t worry, it will be terrific and our daughter will be wonderful. Our guests will have a lovely time.” Or I will say something like, “Why are you worrying so much? We have done this twice before and it worked out fine.” While those words may be comforting, (although I am starting to think that they are not), the fact that I say it while sipping coffee, and watching the first few minutes of Morning Joe (my news show) at 6:15am, acting, as if, according to my wife, I don’t have a care in the world, might not be the best way to deliver that message.  Before she says another word or gives me a look, I just remind her that she needs to trust the moment, and trust in her guests. Everything will be wonderful, not necessarily because my wife has worried about and taken care of every detail, but rather everything will be wonderful because our daughter will speak passionately and intelligently, and our guests are sharing in our daughter’s simchah.
This week, we read, Parsha Behar.  For the last several Parshiot, the Torah has provided us with numerous examples of how to elevate our lives if we happen to be Kohanim, or if we happen to be anything besides Kohanim. For the past several weeks, the Torah has provided us numerous examples of holy relationships and unholy relationships as well as more sacred times and less sacred times.  Now, in Parsha Behar we are taught how the land of Eretz Yisroel can elevate our lives in holiness, Shmitta (the seventh year.) Just like the seventh day (Shabbat) is a day of rest. Shmitta is a year of rest. Every seventh year, all outstanding debts are cancelled. The land lies fallow. Slaves and servants are set free. Agriculturally speaking, there is a benefit. Resting the soil for a year allows for replenishment of nutrients. Rabbinically speaking, less time devoted to agricultural concerns meant more time devoted to Torah study!
            Perhaps most important aspect of Parsha Behar is implicit in the Mitzvah associated with Shmitta, the notion of Bitachon, trust in God. In Behar, we may consider this notion of Shmitta to be quite nice. All debts are cancelled. On the other hand, if the land is to lie fallow, what would people eat? We are urged to trust God.   V’Tziviti  Et BirChati Lachem Ba’Shanah Ha’Shishit V’Asah Et Hatvuah Lishlosh Ha’Shanim - I will ordain My blessing for you in the sixth year and it will yield  a crop sufficient  for the three-year period (Lev. 25: 21). Just like God provided a double portion of Manna on Friday and thereby guarantee enough food for Shabbat, so too God will “guarantee” enough produce in the sixth year. B’nai Yisroel won’t starve in the seventh (Shmitta) year.
In the process of climbing the rungs of the Kedusha ladder, we ultimately need to learn to trust God. Successfully achiever each level of Kedusha confirms that sense of Bitachon, Trust. We trust that God is Holy; otherwise we would have no need to be holy. We trust that everything pure and good is attributable to God. Otherwise, we would constantly defile ourselves. We trust that we are created in God’s image. Otherwise, there is no reason to treat people with kindness first. Trust in God, in a sense, is a spiritually individualized Mishkan. The Mishkan was built so that God would dwell among us. Similarly, if our purpose is to attain higher and higher levels of Kedusha, we trust that the end result is God’s dwelling within us. From where I sit first thing in the morning sensing my wife’s stress while I drink coffee and watch Morning Joe, I know that if we have done our job and put in the effort, then we have to learn to trust that our daughter is prepared, trust the fact that our guests are there to share in our daughter’s simchah, trust that our family just want to beam with pride that their sister, granddaughter, niece, and cousin has achieved this milestone, then everything else, (except paying for it), will take care of itself. Of course my wife reminds me how easy it is for me to “trust” since I “trust” that everything will be taken care of and will work out beautifully because she did it all. Well I guess she is kind of right.

            Peace,
Rav Yitz

No comments:

Post a Comment