Thursday, September 20, 2018

Wake Now Discover That You Are The Song That The Morning Brings (Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia - "Eyes Of The World")

When each of my children was born, and it was my job to rock them to sleep, I would whistle a particular song that I chose for them. For my eldest daughters, because there was a nine-year gap, I whistled the same song for each of them: "Summertime".  For my now 18 year old, it made sense, she was born in the summertime.  For my eldest, I loved Miles Davis’ version of the song so I chose it for her. When our now 16-year-old daughter was born, I chose “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”. When our youngest child and only son was born, I chose Louis Armstrong’s “What a Wonderful World”.  Since our kids are a bit older, and I don’t put them to bed anymore, I am sure that each has favorite songs that they have chosen, that “speak” to them. My kids and my wife know that if I hear my favorite song on the Grateful Dead internet radio station, or on satellite radio, they will either stop what they are doing so I can hear the song and sing along, or they will have to lower their conversation to a whisper. Usually, when the song comes on, they see that I am all smiles and genuinely happy, as a result, they even start to hum or sing along with me. Ironically, the lyrics are not sickeningly sweet but rather speak of growing up and a parent figure letting go so that child can learn to fall down and get back up on his/her own. The tune, however, is incredibly upbeat and happy. Because my children have heard the song hundreds of times they have learned to appreciate the juxtaposition between the simple, upbeat tune and the bittersweet lyrics.  They all know that I have never heard the song in concert and it is one of my “bucket list wishes”. I joke that if I never hear the song live at a concert, then it must be played at my funeral.
This Shabbat we read from Parshat Ha’Azinu.  The Parsha is poetry, a song that God had commanded Moshe to compose in the previous Parsha, VaYeleich. Composing this song was the final deed that God commanded Moshe. The song is the final prophecy that God told Moshe in the previous Parsha, VaYeilech.  As a song, Ha"Azinu does not contain the most pleasant of lyrics, and it is not particularly uplifting or inspiration. The song does not offer such an optimistic future.  Rather, Moshe invokes Heaven and Earth to offer testimony to God’s prophecy and future punishment against his people.
   Throughout Sefer Devarim, Deuteronomy,  Moshe has taught the law and inspired Bnai Yisroel to choose fidelity to God and God’s Torah.  Choosing to follow would result in a reward. Choosing not to follow would result in a punishment. Now, during the final moments of Moshe Rabbeinu's life, the song suggests neither choice nor the results of that choice. Instead, we are told that we will choose badly and that we will be punished.  There is nothing explicit within the song that suggests or even offers a means by which we are able to do Teshuva (repent) and ultimately return to God. While intellectually, Moshe has taught that concept to Bnai Yisroel; here in the song that possibility is not explicit. However, when the song is complete, Moshe speaks his word to Bnai Yisroel. His words offer a sense of hope, a sense of inspiration. He reminds Bnai Yisroel that even when they have grown distant from God, even though the resulting punishment will be brutal; there is still a measure of hope, hope for the next generation.  SImu Levavchem L’Chol Hadvarim Asher Anochi Mei’id Bachem Hayom, Asher T’Tzavoom et Bnaichem Lishmor La’Asot et Kol Divrei HaTorah Ha’Zot -  Apply your hearts to all the words that I Testify against you today, with which you are to instruct your children, to be careful to perform all the words of this Torah.  Ki Lo Davar Reik Hu Mikem Ki Hu Chayeichem Uvadavar HaZeh Ta’Arichu Yamimfor it is not an empty thing for you, for it is your life, and through this matter shall you prolong your days on the Land to which you cross the Jordan to possess it.
In Moshe’s final moments, he reminds us that the key to our survival is to teach Torah to our children. Yes, according to the song, we will grow distant from God, yes we will engage in idolatry. Yes, we will be punishment. However, there will always be hope for the next generation if they are educated in such a manner that when it comes time for them to make a choice; they choose wisely, they choose God’s Torah.  Moshe reminds his people that the Torah is not empty. Moshe’s song juxtaposes the immediate short-term future that he sees; a future of hardship, despair and a distancing from God and a long-term future consisting of a reconciliation with God,  a return to the covenantal obligations and the joy that will come with that return.  Because it’s a song or poetry, the children will hear the song, not once but repeated over and over. In the long run, the B’nai Yisroel will come to appreciate the lyrics and its complexity. I know that my kids, in the long run, have come to appreciate my song and its lyrics, music, and complexity.
Peace,
Rav Yitz

No comments:

Post a Comment