Thursday, October 17, 2019

Speak With Wisdom Like A Child, Directly To The Heart (Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia - "Foolish Heart")


My parents came to visit us for the first days Chag HaSukkot, the Sukkot Festival.  During their visit, our children were sitting on the sofa cuddling when my father began talking to our 17-year-old. During their conversation about plans for the future, a gap year, and university, my father began to offer his advice. As I listened, I knew what was coming next. He began to explain the importance of just walking around on a university campus, get of sense of it, and determine if it elicits a feeling. He quickly explained that the eyes through which she sees a campus now won’t be the “same eyes” through which she sees the campus upon her return from a gap year, let alone in the spring. As he explained to her that her perspective will evolve because she will have matured as she approaches high school graduation, and as she makes her plans for a gap year.  I smiled to myself because I remember my father saying the same thing to our 28-year-old daughter, our 19-year-old daughter, and I remember him saying the same thing to my sister and to me.  As his lecture continued, our 17- year-old-daughter looked and me and rolled her eyes. I gave her a look indicating that she should listen.
This Shabbat is known as Shabbat Chol HaMoed Sukkot. It is the Shabbat that falls during the 7 day Festival of Sukkot. As a result, we do not read the regular Torah Reading. Instead, we read of the narrative when Moshe re-ascended the mountain a second time in order to receive the second set of Tablets. As part of the Festival, we recite Hallel which is a series of psalms praising God and state our joy in being part of the Brit, part of the covenant with God. Also, because it is a festival, we read one of Five Megillot taken from the Ketuvim – the Book of Writings. On Shabbat Chol Ha Moed Sukkot, we read Kohelet, the Book of Ecclesiastes.  Jewish tradition ascribes the twelve chapters scroll to Shlomo HaMelech – King Solomon.  This wisdom literature is written from the perspective of an elderly man who has seen it all and experienced it all. – Ein Kol Chadash Tachat HaShemeshThere is nothing new under the sun! Kohelet – The Preacher speaks with brutal and harsh honesty. In what is perhaps the most famous few verses, the Preacher tells us that life is full of ups and downs, good times and difficult times. L’Kol Zman V’Eit L’Chol Chafetz Tachat HaShamayimEverything has its season, and there is a time for everything under heaven: A time to be born and a time to die…..That may not sound so inspiring.  Yet our job is to live our lives according to a set of rules. The result may be good or it may be bad, but God will be the judge of that. All we can do is play according to the rules as we make our way through life and contend with the obstacles. As we grow older and our perspective changes, so will obstacles, the perceived severity of those obstacles, and, perhaps, the way we manage those obstacles.
             As my father lectured, our 19-year-old daughter began nodding in agreement with her grandfather.  Our 15-year-old son listened as well. The 19-year-old understood that her grandfather was remarkably consistent because she heard the lecture a few years ago. Our 15-year-old son paid attention because he understood that he was next to hear this lecture and wanted a head start. I watched my children, each listened from their own perspective. They were listening, they were thinking and I am sure they were trying to make sense of what their grandfather was talking about. I looked over at my dad, he gave me a wink  that asked, “How am I doing son?” I don’t think that there were too many more things in the world that gave my father pleasure than that moment. Like Kohelet concluded by reminding the younger generation that after all is said and done, Sof Davar HaKol Nishmah et HaElohim Yrah  v’Et Mitzvotav SHmor ki Zeh Kol HaAdam- Fear God and keep His Commandments, for that is man’s whole duty, Ki  et Kol Maaseh Ha’Elohim Yavoh V'MishpatFor God will judge every deed…; my father looked at his grandchildren and reminded them that a good life means sitting with grandchildren and passing along wisdom to them.

Peace,
Rav Yitz

No comments:

Post a Comment