Wednesday, September 17, 2014

I Have Spent My Life Seeking All That's Still Unsung (Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia - "Attics of My Life")



It’s hard to believe but our family has already marked the Shloshim of my grandfather’s death.  Over the past few weeks, I have spoken with my parents much more frequently than normal. Our conversations have been about Grandpa, sharing experiences, and sharing our sense of loss. My children have also spent these past few weeks asking about their great- grandfather. Sharing these stories with my children or commiserating with my parent usually causes me to smile as I think about my Grandfather. However it is the quiet moments, when my wife and kids are asleep, and I see a picture of my grandfather that I close my eyes and think of some of the things he has said to me. As he grew older, as his family grew, as we made our way in life, I can still the see the look on his face when we would all be together. He couldn’t belief that he was the patriarch of this family, blessed with children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. He often shared with me how he knew he was blessed, he also wondered what he did right to deserve such feelings. As he grew older and sensed his own deterioration, he shared this “spiritual awareness” with me more and more. The last conversation I had with my grandfather while he was still knew who I was, expressed his acknowledgment that he was and led such a good life.  As he said goodbye to me, he complimented me on my family: my wife, three daughters and son. He reminded me to take care of myself and “take good care of that family of yours.” I joked and told him that they were his family too. He laughed and said “that is why I am reminding you to take care of them.”  

            This week’s Parsha is the Parsha Nitzavim/VaYeilech. According the Aggadah, this is the recounting of Moshe Rabeinu’s last day of life. Unafraid of his imminent death, he gathers his family: Rosheichem, Shivteichem, Zikneichem, v’Shotreichem, Kol Ish Yisroel, Topchem N’Sheichem V’Geircha Asher B’Kerev Machanecha Meichotev Eitzecha Ad Sho’eiv MeimechaThe heads of your tribes, your elders, and your officers, all the men of Yisroel; your children, your women, and the stranger who is in the midst of our camp, from the woodchopper to the one who draws water (Deut. 29:9-10). Moshe imparts his last vestiges of wisdom to his children, his people. Moshe wants to make sure that everything is in order when he dies and Joshua takes over. Moshe truly has been blessed. He has had the blessing of old age, and here God has granted him the gift of saying goodbye in perhaps the most wonderful fashion. God has commanded Moshe to say his goodbyes and impart the final vestiges of wisdom.
           
            We are taught that death is a part of life. Yet many of us are afraid of death. Many of us believe that we should shield our children from death, sadness and loss. However when we read Parsha Nitzavim, we learn that while impending death is sad, death in the manner of Moshe’s can take on an aura of holiness – of Kedusha. It is in holiness that we attain the highest level of life, a life that is directly connected to God. When death comes like this, from God, with an opportunity to say Goodbye- with an opportunity to impart wisdom to one’s children, death is not mundane; death is not ordinary, but rather holy and part of life, the final expression of holiness in a very physical endeavor.

            When we talk of strength, we unfortunately think of the person who can carry the heaviest load. We think of the person who doesn’t cry, who remains stoic, even if he/she is all torn up inside. At this time of year, from Elul through Succot, when we recite the 27th Psalm and conclude with the words Chazak v’Ya’Ameitz Libecha, v’Kavei El AdoshemStrengthen yourself, and he will give you courage; and hope to HaShem! We now understand what it means to strengthen oneself.  Moshe had that kind of strength. He was aware of the end of his life, he prepared for it, he drew loved ones toward himself and told them his thoughts, and his concerns. In a sense, this final action is the epitome of courage.
            Now, I realize the significance of his saying goodbye to me like that while he still had his cognitive faculties. I have to believe that somewhere deep down, he understood what was happening to him and what would eventually result. So before his condition worsened, before his memory was so diminished; he needed to impart one more bit of wisdom, one more bit of fatherly/grandfatherly advice, a few words that would give me a sense of purpose even when I mourn for him.  “Take care of your family”, not only for my sake and their sake, but for his sake as well. It is the quiet moments when I think of those words, and see my children and my wife asleep; I realize that I not only have a responsibility to my wife and children, but I have a responsibility to my grandfather as well. Through the tears, I smile to myself and know that I have been blessed: blessed to have been his grandson, blessed with a wonderful wife and four terrific children. As we observe the last Shabbat of 5774, we should all take this time to appreciate the blessing of the past year.

Peace & Shanah Tova,

Rav Yitz

No comments:

Post a Comment