Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Lately It Occurs To Me What A Long Strange Trip It's Been (Robert Hunter, Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, & Jerry Garcia - "Truckin"



          We just celebrated our son’s Hanachat Tefillin at his camp. We are four weeks away from his Bar Mitzvah. Hopefully our son has managed to find time each day to study his Torah Portion and his Haftarah; but I doubt it. The one person who has been working almost as hard as him has been his mother. She has done all the planning. She figured out how to make sure that we have a spot at the Kotel (The Wall) so that our son can read from the Torah; she called the restaurant and figured out a menu, she made arrangements with the synagogue in Efrat, and that was before she left for camp at the end of June.  When we have spoken during here five weeks at camp; she has also made arrangements for hikes, for site seeing and for various tours. What I have done in preparation for our son’s Bar Mitzvah? I guess I have thought a lot about what our son’s Bar Mitzvah means to me, to my family. I can’t help but think about my Bar Mitzvah decades and decades ago. I can’t help but think of my journey.  I can’t help but think of the people that were so influential in my life, for guiding me, for teaching me, for molding me into the person I am. Indeed, I have become acutely aware of the journey that I have taken and my family has taken. I am also acutely aware that our son will soon begin his own type of journey.
This morning we read from Parsha Matot/Masei. These are the final two parshiot of Sefer BaMidbar (Book of Numbers).  Like the end of most books, these parshiot tie up numerous loose ends. It ties up the loose ends of the narrative such as how to deal with the Midianites following episode with Pinchas, the daughters of Tzelophchad and issues of inheritance, as well as the borders of Eretz Canaan, and the Cities of Refuge. All these final issues must be dealt with since, from a narrative perspective, Bnai Israel is spiritually and physically ready to cross the Yarden River and enter into Eretz Canaan. Bnai Yisroel is about to realize the Brit, the covenant that God made with the Avot: Avraham, Yiztchak and Yaakov.
Whenever an individual, a group, a community or a people stand on the precipice of a realized goal; looking back upon the journey only makes sense. We look back upon the journey for a variety of reasons. First we look back upon the journey in sheer wonderment; we cannot believe we have traveled so far and finally achieved. Second, we look back upon the journey in order to provide context and meaning for all those who joined in the journey towards the middle or the end. Third, we look back upon the journey as a series of opportunities that were necessary in order to realize the stated goal. Fourth, and perhaps in the case of the current war with Hezbollah and Hamas, we look back at our journey and decide that perhaps it is time to finally end the journey.  Eilah Masei V’nai Yisroel Asher Yatzu M’Eretz Mitztrayim L'tzivotam  B’Yad Moshe v’AharonThese are the journeys of the Children of Israel, who went forth from the Land of Egypt according to the legions under the hand of Moshe and AharonV’Eilah Maseihem L’MotzaheihemAnd these are the their journeys according to their departures. (Num. 33:1-2) God commanded Moshe to keep a record of their travels according to their Maseihem - destination. A destination suggests anticipation and positive expectations. Remembering destinations suggests minimal hardship, minimal travails, no issues nor problems. Moshe also kept a record of their travels based upon Motzaheihem their departures. When we are forced to depart; we tend to feel badly, we tend to focus upon hardships and difficulties, including murmuring, complaining and challenging Moses’ authority. Now that B'nai Yisroel stands on the brink of entering Eretz Canaan, all the experiences, both positive and negative gave B'nai Yisroel an opportunity to learn Faith.  The journey and all that was experienced during that 40-year journey was necessary in order to arrive at this point in time.
Yes my wife and I are both dealing with our youngest child; our only son’s becoming a Bar Mitzvah.  My wife is focused upon a destination. Since I am the only other person in our family that had a Bar Mitzvah, I can’t help but think of my father and my grandfather. I can’t help but think of the enormous influence that they each played in my life. I only hope that I am as positive an influence on my son as my father and grandfather was upon me.
Peace,
Rav Yitz

No comments:

Post a Comment