Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Think This Through With Me, Let Me Know Your Mind; What I Want To Know Is, Are You Kind? (Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia "Uncle John's Band")



Our teen-age daughters, 17 and 15 will be going to the New York metropolitan area in order to spend the last days Shemini Atseret and Simchat Torah with their “camp friends”. For the past couple of weeks we have been searching for a way to get her to New Jersey: plane, train, bus, a car ride with friends who are heading to New York. We couldn’t find anything then satisfied our concern for time, cost, or safety. We managed to find a cheap flight from Buffalo to New York’s LaGuardia airport. They just had to find a way to get picked up at LaGuardia in order to get to their respective destinations: Teaneck, NJ and Cedarhurst Long Island. For the past few years, my parents would drive down to New York City and visit with my sister and her family, however this year my parents won’t be heading down until after Sukkot. In the past, I have relished the idea of our kids on a six hour car ride with my father and listening to the lectures that I had to listen to. I relished the idea of our kids on a six hour car ride with my father and listening to sage words of wisdom about life, relationships, and the future. Because the 17 year old is thinking about university, I was especially hopeful that Grandpa (my father) would offer advice and perspective to deal with the anxiety and the process of choosing and applying to universities. Needless to say, I think our daughters were relieved that they are flying to New York rather than driving six hours and listening to a lecture from Grandpa. For me, it is a lost opportunity for a grandfather to offer wisdom and advice to his grandchildren. Now, as I become more conscious of these diminished opportunities; I realize that it falls on me to transmit his wisdom and advice.
This Shabbat is known as Shabbat Chol HaMoed Sukkot. It is the Shabbat that falls during the 7 day Festival of Sukkot. As a result we do not read the regular Torah Reading. Instead, we read of the narrative when Moshe re- ascended the mountain a second time in order to receive the second set of Tablets. As part of the Festival, we recite Hallel which is a series of psalms praising God and state our joy in being part of the Brit, part of the covenant with God. Also, because it is a festival, we read one of Five Megillot taken from the Ketuvim – the Book of Writings. On Shabbat Chol Ha Moed Sukkot, we read Kohelet, the Book of Ecclesiastes.  Jewish tradition ascribes the twelve chapter scroll to Shlomo HaMelech – King Solomon.  This wisdom literature is written from the perspective of an elderly man who has seen it all, and experienced it all. – Ein Kol Chadash Tachat HaShemeshThere is nothing new under the sun! Kohelet – The Preacher speaks with brutal and harsh honesty.. In what is perhaps the most famous few verses, the Preacher tells us that life is full of ups and downs, good times and difficult times. L’Kol Zman V’Eit L’Chol Chafetz Tachat HaShamayimEverything has its season, and there is a time for everything under heaven: A time to be born and a time to die…..That may not sound so inspiring.  Yet our job is to live our lives according to a set of rules. The result may be good or it may be bad, but God will be the judge of that. All we can do is play according to the rules as we make our way through life and contend with the obstacles presented.

          I hope there will be other opportunities for our children to spend significant time with their grandparents receiving their wisdom. In the meantime I have to make time with my kids passing this Kohelet wisdom to them. After all it’s a seasonal thing: Sukkot, autumn, change of seasons, leaves changing colors. I will take them for a drive, we will talk, we will see the leaves changing, we will discuss univerisities. Words, advice and hopefully wisdom will come out of my mouth and I will realize that I sound like my father, who amazingly enough sounded a lot like his father. I hope I do as good a job transmitting these words, thoughts, and wisdom to them as my father and grandfather did. Like Kohelet concluded by reminding the younger generation that after all is said and done, Sof Davar HaKol Nishmah et HaElohim Yrah v’Et Mitzvotav SHmor ki Zeh Kol HaAdam- Fear God and keep his Commandments, for that is man’s whole duty, Ki et Kol Maaseh Ha’Elohim Yavoh V'MishpatFor God will judge every deed…; I am reminded of my father’s advice and need that I need to transmit to them: that if they follow their grandfather’s advice, they will be able to handle life’s obstacles and remain positive and happy.
Peace,
Rav Yitz

No comments:

Post a Comment