Wednesday, October 3, 2012

And Seasons Will End In Tumbled Rhyme (Bob Weir & Eric Anderson- "Weather Report Suite Part I")



My parents came to visit us for the first days Chag HaSukkot, the Sukkot Festival.  As is typical of my father, when there is something important on television; he walked in, said hello, and made a beeline for the sofa asking his grandchildren to show him how to turn on the television and operate the remote control. After a brief moment when he needed to figure out which channel corresponded to NBC, he found what he was so eagerly looking for. What could possibly be so important that he would sit riveted upon the sofa, watching nonstop until either it ended or the holiday began? What could possibly have been so important that he would not allow anyone to change the station except during a commercial to see the update of the Yankee game? What could possibly be more important? Golf. No not just a typical run of the mill PGA golf tournament or even one of the four Majors. No, this was the Ryder Cup, the United States vs. Europe. On Sunday, in a match play format, the two teams play head to head, man to man.  What started as a commanding lead going into the final day of the tournament slowly deteriorated until the Americans just couldn’t make a putt and the European made one of the great comebacks of all time and retained the cup. While my father watched, my wife cooked, my mother showed her granddaughters what she bought and then tried remodeling our house, and I put up the Sukkah, their grandson sat with grandpa and watched. Then in a moment of absolute chutzpah one of our daughters sat down with her grandfather and unequivocally stated that “this whole golf thing is boring, and I am changing the channel!” I heard those words and warned her to smile at grandpa and say “just kidding”. It was too late. Knowing my father as well as I do, I told our daughter “now you’ve done it.”  My father proceeded to explain to his granddaughter , in very Zen terms how Golf is like life.  I smiled to myself and went back to working on the Sukkah, since I heard this one a thousand times.  My daughter looked and me and I smiled back and told her to listen. She may learn something. Soon her sister joined and now my father was lecturing his grandchildren on his famous “Golf as a paradigm for life” lecture; a lecture he gave me at a similar age.
This Shabbat is known as Shabbat Chol HaMoed Sukkot. It is the Shabbat that falls during the 7 day Festival of Sukkot. As a result we do not read the regular Torah Reading. Instead, we read of the narrative when Moshe re- ascended the mountain a second time in order to receive the second set of Tablets. As part of the Festival, we recite Hallel which is a series of psalms praising God and state our joy in being part of the Brit, part of the covenant with God. Also, because it is a festival, we read one of Five Megillot taken from the Ketuvim – the Book of Writings. On Shabbat Chol Ha Moed Sukkot, we read Kohelet, the Book of Ecclesiastes.  Jewish tradition ascribes the twelve chapter scroll to Shlomo HaMelech – King Solomon.  This wisdom literature is written from the perspective of an elderly man who has seen it all, and experienced it all. – Ein Kol Chadash Tachat HaShemeshThere is nothing new under the sun! Kohelet – The Preacher speaks with brutal and harsh honesty.. In what is perhaps the most famous few verses, the Preacher tells us that life is full of ups and downs, good times and difficult times. L’Kol Zman V’Eit L’Chol Chafetz Tachat HaShamayimEverything has its season, and there is a time for everything under heaven: A time to be born and a time to die…..That may not sound so inspiring.  Yet our job is to live our lives according to a set of rules. The result may be good or it may be bad, but God will be the judge of that. All we can do is play according to the rules as we make our where through life and contend with the obstacle, the rough, the sand traps, the water hazards and perhaps even the unfair lies that our ball winds up in after we make a good swing, struck the ball well. But we play the next shot no matter how difficult and if it means we take a penalty, so be it. Then we play the shot that God gives us to the best of our ability.
          As my father lectured, combining Kohelet with Golf, I saw his grandchildren sitting with him. They were listening, they were thinking and I am sure they were trying  to make sense of what their grandfather was talking about. I looked over at my dad, he gave me a wink “How am I doing son?” I don’t think that there were too many more things in the world that gave my father pleasure than that moment. Like Kohelet concluded by reminding the younger generation  that after all is said and done, Sof Davar HaKol Nishmah et HaElohim Yrah  v’Et Mitzvotav SHmor ki Zeh Kol HaAdam- Fear God and keep his Commandments, for that is man’s whole duty, Ki  et Kol Maaseh Ha’Elohim Yavoh V'MishpatFor God will judge every deed…; my father looked at his grandchildren and reminded them that a good life, means shooting par, that is, breaking even. With that, my children sat with their grandfather for a few minutes watching the Rider Cup.
Peace,
Rav Yitz

No comments:

Post a Comment