Monday, November 19, 2012

Wait Until That Deal Come Round (Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia - "Deal")



During another stressful weekday night when parents battled children to do their homework, our son took a unique approach in expressing his frustration.  After finishing one assignment and stating he was finished and now wanted to watch television, mommy checked his assignment sheet. Realizing that that our son still had homework, she now was the harbinger of bad news and told him to do his homework.  Like a typical 8 year old boy already engrossed in a video game, he ignored his mother.  Now it was my turn. I marched downstairs and expressed my frustration with his behavior.  Now our son was not only upset that he was still not finished with his homework, but now he was mad at me and began telling me as much. Then he made the most fascinating statement in the throes of his fit. With his voice rising, he looked at me and said, “If you make me do this, I won’t let you be my Abba anymore!”  I was about to interrupt his statement and really yell at him but I stopped, let him finish saying it, and then I thought about what he said for a second.  I thought of this week’s Parsha, Parsha Vayeitze.
This Shabbat we read from Parsha Va’Yetzei. Fearing for his life, Yaakov flees his brother who has vowed to kill him after Yaakov “stole” Esav’s birthright. He heads towards Rivka’s brother’s home – Uncle Lavan. There Yaakov begins a new phase of life. Yaakov enters adulthood and family life. He marries Lavan’s daughters Leah and Rachel. He has children, and he deals with all the headaches and all the ups and downs of family life. Yaakov then realizes that it is time for him to return to his ancestral home with his wives and children.
Yaakov hinted that he had every intention of returning to his ancestral home during his first night away from home and heading towards Lavan. As he falls into a deep sleep, he dreams of ladder and the angels (Gen. 28:12). God stands next to him and tells Yaakov the Covenant that will now be passed down to him. By re-iterating the covenant with him, Yaakov not only inherits a pre-existing Covenant but also becomes an active participant in the Covenant. God tells Yaakov “Hinei Anochi Imach Ushmarticha b’chol Asher Teilech, Behold I am with you and I will guard you wherever you go…” (28:15). So, in a dream, Yaakov sees God and receives the covenant that God had made with Yaakov’s grandfather, Avraham, and his father Yitzchok.

Yet the dream wasn’t good enough. Perhaps God’s covenant wasn’t good enough. Or maybe, Yaakov had to feel as if he was the one dictating terms to God.  Ironically, Yaakov has absolutely nothing except the clothes on his back and his ancestry. So Yaakov offers a deal with God. However, compared to what God offered Yaakov, Yaakov demands are much simpler and it seems that his offer is rather pedestrian. Im Yiheyeh Elohim Imadi Ushmarani Baderech Hazeh Asher Anochi Holech v’Natan Li Lechem L’echol Uveged Lilbosh, vShavti b’Shalom el Bet Avi v’Hayah Hashem Li Le’lohim.  If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and clothes to wear, so that I come back to my father’s house in peace, then shall the Lord be my God.  In a rather crass manner, Yaakov merely asks for the physical necessities, food and clothing. He doesn’t need the promise of land, nor does he need the promise of future descendants. Yaakov offers to demonstrate that he will be a willing participant in a relationship with God by offering a tenth of whatever he acquires and accumulates. Yaakov is asking God to be permitted to participate in the relationship. Only when he is permitted to participate will God become Yaakov’s God as well as the God of his ancestors.  Yaakov's “unseemly negotiation” teaches us that while it is very nice to receive a promise, a gift, or part of tradition, if we are not actively involved in that promise, using that gift or participating in that tradition, then returning becomes much more difficult.

After I thought about Yaakov’s negotiation, I thought about the best possible answer for my son’s fascinating statement. I could ignore the statement. However that wouldn’t be any fun. Then I figured that if he won’t let me be his Abba then I don’t have to have these types of aggravating moments anymore.  Then I thought that the choice to be his Abba or not should really be mine. A split second later I gave him my answer in a very quiet stern voice. I told him to come near me, then I told him “I will always be your Abba, whether you like it or not. If you need me to help you with your homework, I will. If you can do your homework without my help, then that is terrific. However, you will eventually do your homework. How you do it and when you do will be up to you.” He took a deep breath. Grabbed a cup of water, drank and then asked if I could help him with his homework. I helped him and he finished without any more aggravation.

Peace,
Rav Yitz


No comments:

Post a Comment